***** My Favorite Bolognese Sauce *****


Bildergebnis für Bolognese Sauce

My Favorite Food - Bolognese Sauce


this is my all-time favorite sauce! This sauce makes me very happy always has. Only the aroma and smell of the sauce coming home from school made it a better day. I have eaten Bolognese in many homes and each is different and nice but nothing beats my moms.
And one thing I instinctivly avoid is ordering anything with bolognese sauce in a restaurant as I know it wouldn't be the same -  I rather try something new or a dish i would not make myself.

This recipe is my version of the Bolognese sauce - its, of course, a bit different to my moms but I like mine too it is a bit fruiter and sweeter...

I personally could eat pasta every single day, now i have to switch to gluten-free pasta, that takes a lot of fun out of the experience of comfort food :-)  But I don't give up as there are great alternatives and there is a whole world of pasta besides Italian dishes and I love all of them - doesn't matter which way you spin them Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese,  in salad, soup, filled like a ravioli, baked or fried ... PASTA is the best food for me.

And you know that when I decided to stay a year in Korea i had a fear, as much as I wanted to go there - the fact of eating rice 3 times a day, scared me. But after a short while, I noticed Korea is a land of pasta as well.... and I was a happy camper... but nevertheless I learned to love rice as well!
BTW I made Bolognese in Korea and my host dad had second helpings to my very big surprise...

So regardless of my personal story  - Bolognese is still comforting food and an important dish to my son very close to my chili...

Have you ever tried Skyline Chili 4 or 5 ways  - hey you got to go to Cincinnati and get a huge bowl of spaghetti with the best sauce after Bolognese :-)

Alissa

Bolognese Sauce

2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms (optional)
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup finely shredded celery (optional - i don't use regularly only if on hand)
3 cloves garlic finely minced
8 ounces lean ground beef or half/half
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup beef base
1/3 cup dry red wine
1 tbsp sugar
1 lorel leave
1 teaspoon dried basil crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
salt & pepper

Directions:
Heat olive oil is large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add beef; cook stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink.
Stir in tomatoes, base, wine, basil, oregano, sugar salt and peper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until flavors are blended. Let simmer for at least one hour... the longer it simmers the better it tastes.. before servinge taste again and salt or pepper if necessary

Serve over your choice of cooked pasta. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Notes:
I use this sauce also for my lasagna, pasticcio or over cooked orzo, rice, i mix it with veggies or make tortilla lasagna.... the ideas are endless

Comments