My Family´s Dates Square Recipe - Close to Jean Paré Recipe

Bildergebnis für date squares



DATE SQUARES


These are my moms dates squares at least they come closest to my moms - she doesn't use a recipe she just makes them and me like hers the best...I don't recall when I had my first but I must have been in school I think. My son started to eat those when he was not even 2 years old and he loved them so much he could put away loads of them. He would become all smiles and happy face - the same was with turnovers from leftover pie dough and filled with homemade jam and an almond flavored glaze - that was a very nice treat he favored those over the pie and I was the same as a kif nothing better then turnovers with strawberry jam and almond glaze and lots of sprinkles on them.... Alissa


1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter

For filling:
1 pound dates
3/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup sugar pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare filling first. Combine dates, hot water, sugar, and salt together in a saucepan.
Cook over medium heat until dates are soft and water is absorbed; add vanilla and let cool.
Stir flour and baking soda together; add to oatmeal and brown sugar and mix well.
Work in butter with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Spread 1/2 the mixture in bottom of greased 9" square pan and pat down; cover with cooled date filling.
Pat 1/2 of remaining mixture on top; then sprinkle over lightly with the remainder.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

Comments