this is going ot be fun - who would like to be part in the Taste of Home Recipe Challenge that we put together!
This is for everybody... Looking forward to see your reviews
Shannon was so kind to pull this off and start the whole show!
A few of us have put our heads together and thought it would be fun to have a regular recipe challenge on the Recipes forum. Easy to follow instructions and plenty of time to play at it!
Here the link to the TOH site - please visit: Recipe Challenge - Pumpkin bread
I will give a basic recipe for a specific dish.
1. Take that recipe and try it once.
2. Change the recipe in some obvious way...add a sauce or topping, substitute ingredients, cook in a different format or assemble the final dish differently (ie - change it from an entree to an appetizer. Make it low fat, make it vegetarian, add butter do whatever you want to make it suit your tastes!
3. Write a review here on this thread of the original and your re-make.
It's that simple! Take 3 weeks to make your changes and get ready to post. I'll make sure the thread is bumped back up to the top on a specific date so that all can see it and add their reviews. Even if only a handful participate it will be fun, but I'm hoping everyone will get into the spirit of it and have a hoot with it!
Couple of things to remember -
1. If you already know you don't like or are allergic to a key ingredient, (for example if the first recipe was Pecan Pie and you don't like or cannot eat Pecans) go ahead and make the substitute and just write a review for your remake.
2. At the end of each challenge you will have several different recipes to add to your "Must Try" list!
3. The more who participate, the more fun this will be!! Wahoo! And this isn't a contest for the best...it's sharing the fun!
4. Don't be intimidated! This thread is designed to benefit everyone so even if your change is tiny, it could end up being a brilliant brainstorm for another recipe! And if you mess up...who cares! It's all about having fun and interacting with one another on this board!!
OK Ready? Get Set! Go!
Have fun everyone!!
First Recipe - Pumpkin Bread
Trial Time - 3 Weeks
Please post your reviews by November 19th (just in time for the Holidays!)
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins, optional
In a large small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda cinnamon, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, oil, and water. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and raisins if desired.
Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 219 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.