Banana Rhubarb Vanilla Jam








Banana-Rhubarb-Vanilla Jam


This is an exotic adventurous combination and you might be shaking your head.. no problem... I was skeptic myself when I tasted this jam the first time. I had seen it on a farmers market and the lady had about a hundred different kinds of jam in her booth - she gave out samples with this jam... I really liked it... it is definitely happy food and cheers you up... banana and vanilla have this effect... the rhubarb gives it a bit tartness .. lovely.. you should try it..

I found the recipe on my german recipe board and made it this afternoon - this is a very frugal recipe as most of us always have a few bananas on hand and rhubarb is in season and costs next to nothing.. if you grow it yourself even better (ours is not ready yet) I think the most expensive ingredient in this one is the vanilla bean.
This morning I baked a few yeast buns to go with the jam... Alissa


Banana Rhubarb Vanilla Jam

5 bananas
2 lb rhubarb
1 vanilla bean (i used a Tahiti bean)
juice of one orange
juice of one lemon
2 lb sugar (in Germany we use Gelierzucker which has a jell maker in it)

you could ad white rum or pineapple if you like!

Sterilize jam jars! I used 8 small jars.

Wash the rhubarb and cut in lengthwise in half and then chop it in cubes and put in a huge pot. Mash the bananas and add to the pot,


pour the juices over and the vanilla and sugar and bring to a boil. stir steadily and if it starts to foam remove and stir till rhubarb gets mushy. I pureed the jam at this point if you like it chunky just omit this step. Keep stirring till jam starts to thicken.
Have your jars ready and fill them (a funnel helps. Fill and seal and turn the glasses upside down.

Voila....

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:44:00 AM

    Ooh, this sounds so yummy! My husband loves rhubarb, but I've only paired it up with strawberries in a pie. I'll have to try this one weekend.

    Thanks,
    Pocky

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Pocky,
    i hope you like it... Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam is also very nice and Rhubarb Orange Ginger makes a great jam as well....

    Enjoy your weekend - Alissa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment